Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.devilsworkshop.org

Sorry for inconvenience...

Two Peas and Their Pod: Recipe for Berry Scones

Friday, April 10, 2009

Recipe for Berry Scones



Is everyone ready for Easter? Any fun plans? We are going to see Wicked tomorrow! Yahoo! It FINALLY came to Salt Lake City! Josh bought the tickets almost a year ago, he is the best! I have never seen it so I am super excited. For Easter, we are going to the Dewey's to celebrate. Should be a fun filled weekend.

I always eat breakfast, it is my favorite meal of the day. I usually eat a Fiber One or another healthy cereal at my desk. Not the ideal situation, but it works:) On weekends I try to be a little more creative with my choices. I recently made these berry scones and they were a nice treat.

I love scones, I usually make Dorie's Cream Scones, but this time I tried a recipe from King Arthur Flour. I was intrigued by the yogurt in the recipe. I usually use cream or buttermilk, not yogurt.

The dough was a little different, not the typical scone dough. It was really dry. I tried not to mix it too much because you don't want to overmix when making scones. The dough wouldn't come together though, so I added a little more yogurt. That helped, but my dough was really colorful! I probably over mixed it. Oops! I liked how easy these were, I used an ice cream scoop to drop the dough onto my baking sheet. PLOP and you are done!

The scones baked up nicely. I loved the almond extract, lemon, and berry flavor combo. They were nice and blue too:) They didn't have the traditional scone feel though, they were more moist. I liked them, but not what I was expecting. I think they were a mix of muffins, scones, and biscuits? Is that possible?

If you are having company this weekend for breakfast or brunch, give these a try!





Berry Scones
Adapted from King Arthur

(Printable Recipe)

2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
1 cup frozen mixed berries
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup vanilla yogurt (I added about 2 more Tablespoons)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 tablespoons coarse sugar, for sprinkling on top

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment.

Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the butter and work it into the dry ingredients till the mixture is unevenly crumbly; use your fingers, a pastry blender, or an electric mixer. Gently mix the blueberries with the dry ingredients.

Stir together the eggs, yogurt, vanilla extract, lemon zest or oil, and almond extract. Add to the dry ingredients and stir very gently, just until combined. The dough will be quite moist, like cookie dough.

Use a muffin scoop, jumbo cookie scoop, or 1/4-cup measure to scoop the dough onto the prepared sheet in scant 1/4-cupfuls, leaving about 2" between each. Brush each ball of dough with a bit of milk or cream, and sprinkle with coarse sugar.

Bake the scones for 20 to 24 minutes, or until lightly browned and a cake tester inserted into a scone comes out dry. Remove from the oven, and serve warm. To reheat, wrap loosely in aluminum foil, and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 8 to 10 minutes.
Yield: 12 scones

Labels: , ,

54 Comments:

Blogger sugarlens said...

I have never seen Wicked, but heard great things about the show. Have fun!

Those scones look divine! I would like some with hot tea!

5:03 AM  
Blogger LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I'm ready for Easter!! :-)

LOVE WICKED!!!! One of my favorite theatrical productions.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

hmmmmmm I was planning on making scones and using them for our strawberry shortcake. I really like the idea of using yogurt instead of cream- maybe I will try this! Thanks girl!

5:06 AM  
Blogger Balance, Joy and Delicias! said...

mmmmmmm.... you treat your guest well with these scones!
happy easter! :)

5:07 AM  
Blogger April said...

I love scones, and these sound like ones I am going to have to make soon! They look yummy!!

5:08 AM  
Blogger A_and_N said...

They DO look colorful! Happy Easter :) I hope you hhave a fabulous weekend.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Meghan said...

They are very colorful!!! The next scone I make is going to be blueberry. I have a recipe already picked out, but I might need to make both just to see :)

I saw Wicked in Chicago. It was really good. The music is fabulous.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Risa said...

m not a fan of traditional scones so these sound like they would be perfect or me. I hope you have fun at Wicked! I have been waiting for it to come back to Washington DC so I can see it.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

They are so pretty and I bet they taste delicious!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Kristen616 said...

Oh those look so good! I LOVE scones...and berries! I'll bet it's a great combo!

Happy Easter!!!

6:04 AM  
Blogger Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great recipe! I love anything scony and containing berries!

Cheers,

Rosa

6:04 AM  
Blogger stephchows said...

I love the tie dye effect! Too funny I'm sitting at work with a bowl of fiber 1 reading this... lol

6:05 AM  
Blogger Netts Nook said...

Just get the butter and a glass of milk they look perfect. Love all the different flavors together.

6:08 AM  
Blogger kat said...

I'm so jealous that you get to see Wicked. I tried to get tickets here but they sold out so fast

6:31 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Thanks everyone! These are really tasty, a great breakfast treat. Try them for Easter!! Happy Easter weekend to you all!

And I am VERY excited to see Wicked! yahoo!

6:39 AM  
Blogger Elyse said...

These berry scones look fabulous! What a great way to switch up breakfast. And, I just love their colorfulness. I've never seen a scone made with yogurt; I've got to try this!

6:56 AM  
Blogger vanillasugarblog said...

well I am not a big fan of dry scones unless they are maple & walnut ones (I know, I'm wierd), so I might give these a go. I like scones that are moist, I love croissants, but too afraid to make them in my 50 sq. ft. kitchen

7:07 AM  
Blogger Donna-FFW said...

MMM, a moist scone sounds perfect! And they look so pretty! Have a fun time!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I've seen Wicked in NYC and the travelling one here in KC, and I actually loved the travelling one better. It's awesome. You'll be singing the songs for a long time--well especially if you buy or already have the soundtrack. The songs really stick in your head.

And the scones look awesome. Love the swirled berries. I'll have to try the KA recipe. I've never made scones before and want to! It's the cream that scares me away, but you'd think being in the TWD group I wouldn't care so much, huh.

I just love all your posts, Maria!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Mary Bergfeld said...

Oh, my! These are just waiting for me. Your scones and use of berries has me dreaming of the days I could eat anything and not gain an ounce.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Liesl said...

YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE LOVE LOVE WICKED!!! I was lucky enough to see it in London!! Such a great show!!

You scones look great by the way!

7:29 AM  
Blogger teresa said...

Be sure to leave your review on Wicked, I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard it's great!

The scones look amazing! I feel a little blasphemous for never having made a scone, it's time i get on that!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I have still never made scones. I really need to change that. These look incredible.

10:04 AM  
Blogger pinkstripes said...

Your scones look wonderful. Have fun at Wicked!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Pearl said...

mmm :) i must go and make your scone recipe!

10:31 AM  
Blogger RecipeGirl said...

Love scones for breakfast- these look delicious!

Have fun at Wicked! We're going to a Red Sox game on Easter Sunday!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Kerstin said...

They look delicious Maria! I have cereal every day during the week too, so I also like to mix it up on the weekends! Wicked is amazing - have fun!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Elle said...

These look wonderful! I love the idea of using yogurt--very interesting.

Have fun at the show!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Hubs and I are going to see Wicked on Thursday - so glad to hear that it is great! The scones look great as well - perfect weekend breakfast treat!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

I bet these were good! I loved Wicked. I was entranced the whole time.

11:56 AM  
Blogger La Bella Cooks said...

I LOVED Wicked, you will have such a good time. These look very tasty!

12:01 PM  
Blogger jenniferhoiyin said...

i was planning on making scones next week! although I was going to use chocolate covered cherries... I"m obviously not as healthy minded as you.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Flourchild said...

Spring is here too..a little rainy today but warmer! My husband drives to Ogden Utah Sat. for a track meet..hopefully it wont rain.
Breakfast is my very favorite meal and I love scones. I have a few posted on my blog too. Great recipe and nice looking scones. Happy Easter!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

These have all the ingredients I like. Great idea for Easter breakfast.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

These look and sounbd so yummy! Happy Easter!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Bradpetehoops said...

Delicious!

7:19 PM  
Blogger Reeni said...

These look great! Loaded with berries. Enjoy Wicked!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Manggy said...

I hope you enjoy the show Maria! Scones are pretty okay, but when they have the berry essence swirled into them? Heavenly!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Cristine said...

YUM! I love scones and will definately be giving this a try! Thanks for sharing!

Have a great Easter!

12:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

the color reminds me of the first time i made blueberry pancakes :) lovely scones!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

They looks great and can't be bad with blueberries.

6:15 AM  
Blogger NKP said...

They do look good! Love the colour. A great way to use frozen berries.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Ari (Baking and Books) said...

I hope you enjoy seeing Wicked! I have wanted to see if for a while but never get around to it... which is a poor excuse seeing as I live 45 minutes away from NYC, lol.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Those look delish I must say and I am SOOO jealous you are seeing Wicked, I waited too long until the only tickets were a bajillion dollars!

7:30 AM  
Blogger The Cooking Photographer said...

These are so beautiful! I will make these very soon.

8:45 AM  
Blogger kellypea said...

I love scones regardless of whether they're made with buttermilk, cream, or yogurt, and these berry scones look and sound fabulous. Definitely going to try them!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Dragon said...

I'm so jealous you get to see Wicked! These scones look seriously good.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i love berries, be it strawberry, blackberry, or raspberry... your scones are winners!!! happy easter... :)

11:53 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

I was just thinnking about using yogurt for scones the other day, but I didn't because I'm so used to sour cream and cream that I was afraid they would turn out differently from the lack of fat. I actually love how the berries bled into your dough.. so much more colourful!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I keep saying for weekends I will get better at breakfast foods. However, man sleeping in always wins over slaving over a stove.

These look great and sound great too!

8:14 AM  
Blogger grace said...

i think i prefer scones in a round shape, and i know i prefer scones laden with berries and purple-y in color. very nice. :)

9:58 AM  
Blogger Peter M said...

I'm picturing myself grabbing one of these fresh out of the oven, slightly burning my finger tips but I HAVE to smear butter into the warm center!

6:54 PM  
Blogger Spryte said...

I LOVE berry scones!! I've never tried to make them. Yours look so yummy!

9:12 AM  
Blogger csr said...

I'm glad you liked the scones. I'll bet they tasted as good as they look! Wicked is my absolute favorite. Hope you had fun! Molly@KAF

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home